#1: You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
#2: You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.
#3: Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
#4: Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
#5: Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
#6: What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
#7: Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
#8: Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
#9: When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
#10: Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
#11: Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
#12: Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
#13: Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
#14: Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
#15: If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
#16: What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
#17: No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on - it’ll come back around to be useful later.
#18: You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
#19: Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
#20: Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
#21: You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
#22: What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
- writethese reblogged this from redhead-monster
- slamboyyy reblogged this from popculturebrain
- slamboyyy likes this
- staticreference reblogged this from thepageofhopes
- sticky-noted reblogged this from fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment
- lareferences reblogged this from fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment
- halfpennytumbles reblogged this from redhead-monster
- sushisash reblogged this from jasjuliet
- gotitadeazucar reblogged this from my-eye-love-this
- desoeuvre likes this
- waywardskyeyes likes this
- crapperdiem reblogged this from caffeineandcarpaltunnel
- ohnomyoldblog likes this
- secretlystephie reblogged this from stephenfalk
- twisfer likes this
- jaqenhgar likes this
- yumikokaze reblogged this from arcanelegacy
- careylearns reblogged this from mamafriesmeal
- ame-kage likes this
- athousandandonetales reblogged this from redhead-monster
- kiyakotari reblogged this from roterwolkenvogel
- amyangel96 likes this
- someotherbody likes this
- my-eye-love-this reblogged this from buttcubus
- buttcubus reblogged this from roterwolkenvogel
- buttcubus likes this
- uninu reblogged this from roterwolkenvogel
- uninu likes this
- iamkcaj likes this
- roterwolkenvogel reblogged this from popculturebrain
- roterwolkenvogel likes this
- nunsnroses likes this
- somekindofmarvelous reblogged this from trustmeimanenglishmajor
- abundant-appreciation likes this
- kfeeks reblogged this from popculturebrain and added:
- writeherewriten0w likes this
- bleepbloop-all-hail-the-dead-god likes this
- paradoxcomplete reblogged this from thepageofhopes
- winterpeg likes this
- lady-brown likes this
- jeremy-jordan likes this
- the-queerdo-skeleton reblogged this from dumb-and-dumblr
- onethousandrbirds likes this
- honeyandlime reblogged this from redhead-monster
- lovelythingscleverwords reblogged this from popculturebrain
- farwelltoarms likes this
- archivistlog reblogged this from jasjuliet
- mikanrulz reblogged this from officerbobrovsky
- eyesarmslove likes this