The New York Times’ original review of ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ which came out 75 years ago today
So I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to pop culture: I’m sorry for creating this unstoppable monster. Seven years after I typed that fateful phrase, I’d like to join Kazan and Green in calling for the death of the “Patriarchal Lie” of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. I would welcome its erasure from public discourse. I’d applaud an end to articles about its countless different permutations. Let’s all try to write better, more nuanced and multi-dimensional female characters: women with rich inner lives and complicated emotions and total autonomy, who might strum ukuleles or dance in the rain even when there are no men around to marvel at their free-spiritedness. But in the meantime, Manic Pixies, it’s time to put you to rest.
|—||Nathan Rabin: “I’m sorry for coining the phrase ‘Manic Pixie Dream Girl’" | Salon|
|—||Stephen Falk, ‘OITNB’ writer, creator of ‘You’re the Worst’ | Uproxx|
Rumors have been flying for a while that this beloved TV star would appear in Gunn’s upcoming Marvel film. The director himself has confirmed it’s true — but not in the role you’re expecting.
PCB Original: HBO presents Darren Starr’s ‘Her’
You loved her as a promiscuous PR director on ‘Sex and the City,’ but Samantha Jones has found a new passion: being an operating system.
(Warning: NSFW Language)
- INK AND BONE by Zak Olkewicz
- A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD by Alexis C Jolly
- GAY KID AND FAT CHICK by Bo Burnham
- BURY THE LEAD by Justin Kremer
- EXTINCTION by Spenser Cohen
- SPOTLIGHT by Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy
- THE MAYOR OF SHARK CITY by Nick Creature and Michael Sweeney
- THE END OF THE TOUR by Donald Margulies
- FULLY WRECKED by Jake Morse & Scott Wolman
- PURE O by Kate Trefry
- CAPSULE by Ian Shorr
- SHOVEL BUDDIES by Jason Mark Hellerman
- BURN SITE by Doug Simon
- THE COMPANY MAN by Andrew Cypiot
- SWEETHEART by Jack Stanley
- INQUEST by Josh Simon
- THE BOY AND HIS TIGER by Dan Dollar
- LINE OF DUTY by Cory Miller
Infographic: Gender inequality in film | New York Film Academy.
Filmmaker Zach Goldberg returns with more Vine Criterion covers, this time the films of David Cronenberg.
Why Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Are Hosting the Golden Globes
The 2013 hosts talk about their hopes and dreams for the Golden Globes.
Something many of you don’t know is that Tyler Perry movies generally have very gorgeous teaser posters.